As part of our PDL programme, pupils in Years 10 and 11 are allocated a 30 minute Careers appointment with our EBP Careers Advisor, Kelly Chinorwadza. During their appointment, pupils are given the opportunity to discuss their future educational/career aspirations. Where necessary, Kelly will support pupils in identifying their strengths to enable them to select suitable College courses, apprenticeship or jobs.
We also work closely with EBP (South) who assist us in planning whole school Career Fayres, where local Colleges, Training Providers, Apprenticeship Providers and local employers showcase their work, to support our pupils in making informed decisions about their futures.
Our Year 10 pupils take part in the EBP WEX (work experience programme) where they undertake work experience for one week with a local organisation. During this time, pupils gain valuable experience of the workplace. Year 10 pupils in 2018 worked really well and we were very proud to hear of their successes and accomplishments whilst in the workplace.
Employer comments included:
- “Very helpful”
- “Good – shampooing as we speak”
- “Nervous to start but has been walking the dogs and cleaning up after them. The pupil says he loves the work”
- “Bright as a button”’.
- “All fine, doing well. Done price changes, processed a delivery, on the arcade team today. Punctual and smart”
- “Very good, helpful, efficient, pleasure to have him”.
- “Amazing, got lots done”.
As a result of their work experience, several pupils have been offered part time/Saturday jobs as well as the potential for future apprenticeships/jobs.
Pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9, undertake preparation for their future lives, by working on PDL Careers programmes which allow them to identify appropriate future courses for them, as well as having introductions to local Colleges through our Year 8 Preferences Fayre.
Careers activities for 2018/2019 will include:
- Trips and workshops with Portsmouth University as part of their Careers/Outreach programme.
- 2019 Year 10 WEX
- Careers Development ALD
- Southdowns/Havant College Open Days / College taster sessions
- Links with local Colleges / Apprenticeship providers
- Visits to local Universities and Oxford University
We look forward to extending our links with Southdowns/Havant, Highbury, Portsmouth and Fareham Colleges. Colleges offer information to support pupils and parents at many of our Parents Evenings and events.
http://icould.com/ - Real stories to inspire your career
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/business/skills-employment/apprenticeships.htm - Apprenticeships in Hampshire
http://www.sciencecareerpathways.com/home/ - Science Career pathways
http://www.careersworld.co.uk/ - A levels, apprenticeships, University and more
https://www.careersbox.co.uk/ - Career films on the web
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/home - Information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work
https://www.careersadviceforparents.org/ - Advice for parents
INFORMATION FOR PUPILS
Are you 13—19 and living in the South of England? Careerpilot has the information you need to help you plan your future study and work.
Want to know:
- Your choices at 14, 16 and 18?
- More about different job sectors and what they are looking for?
- Information on routes to different qualifications including apprenticeships and university level study?
- Your skills and how to use them?
Get ALL the information you need to help you plan your future study and work at one place www.careerpilot.org.uk
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
The Careerpilot Parent Zone can help you as a parent/carer get answers to the career questions you want to ask, about:
• Choices at 14, 16 and 18;
• Further Education College;
• Apprenticeships and Traineeships;
• Higher Education (including HE provided at local colleges);
• Job sectors and growth;
• Funding and support.