Skip to content ↓

Photography

Welcome to Photography

Lead Teacher

Miss M Harris
Art Design and Technology

The Team:

Mr Wooles

 


Introduction to the Department:

Twitter logo

In Photography at Purbrook Park School we aim to bring as many experiences as possible to our lessons to encourage pupils to have an enthusiasm for the subject.

Pupils are given opportunities to experiment with traditional and digital methods of photography

Pupils can opt to take photography as a GCSE in years 9, 10 and 11. We aim to cover some photography methods in the KS3 art programme as well.

Pupils learn to study and analyse artists work alongside their skills

Key Stage 4 Information:

Key stage 4 begins at the start of year 9 and all students opt if they wish to take Photography

  • Year 9 is used as a foundation year and students are encouraged to enhance their skills and find Medias and materials that they can work best with.
  • Projects and skills studied in year 9
  • Autumn: ABC photography/composition and understanding the camera
  • Spring: Traditional processes including pinhole cameras and film cameras/some students will start independent GCSE style projects
  • Summer: Digital methods including short film making
  • Year 10 will be the first year of coursework. Pupils will cover 2 projects in this year including a portrait project and a time-lapse skills project. The summer term will be spent on a natural form project
  • In Year 11 pupils cover a 3rd and final  project and from January work on their controlled test set by the exam board
  • The coursework projects account for 60% of the final grade and the controlled test (which is also practical) accounts for the other 40%.

Examination Board used:

We use the AQA Art and Design (lens based and light based media) GCSE

Qualification to be obtained:

GCSE Art and Design Photography.